[IPAC-List] selection validation question

Blair, Michael D[EQ] Michael.D.Blair at Embarq.com
Thu May 28 15:54:39 EDT 2009

Megan -

Sounds to me like you're getting caught in the company's process, not the Uniform Guidelines. Assuming you have a sufficient sample size and good criterion measures, you do not need to do any other validation study. In fact, a local criterion-validity study is going to trump any other validity study 99% of the time. The consultant was correct concerning the job analysis. If the job analysis is out of date, then you need to update it, since it forms the foundation for the validity study. The job analysis will determine appropriate test content, appropriate criterion measures, and can also be useful in determining test weights, test model (e.g., compensatory vs. hurdle), etc. You're clearly concerned enough about the differences in the job then versus now that you want a new validation study. Logically, a new job analysis is also warranted.

Michael D. Blair
Manager, Recruitment, Selection & Assessment
EMBARQ
Voice: 913-345-6334 | Cell: 913-832-6130 | Fax: 913-345-6417
Email: Michael.D.Blair at embarq.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/blairmichaeld

This e-mail is the property of EMBARQ and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.