[IPAC-List] Critical incidents

GAST, ILENE F ilene.gast at dhs.gov
Thu May 19 11:09:25 EDT 2011

We develop a multiple-choice in-basket, which is essentially a series of
SJT questions based upon a comprehensive, day-in-the-life scenario.

We get critical incidents when we can, but we also rely on information
from our intranet(cbp.net), our public web site (cbp.gov), web sites
from organizations that interact with our Agents and Officers, the local
news (in the area where our scenario is taking place), and national news
about individuals in our target occupations. We also get clues about
SJT-worthy challenges from job analyses, position descriptions, and job
announcements for the target occupation. In addition, we collect source
documents (memoranda, letters, e-mail messages, meeting agendas,
organizational charts) from job incumbents. Sometimes, we are able to
get a few incumbents to provide "typical day" interviews, which involve
less SME time than a critical incident-writing panel. Finally, because
we develop a number of tests (entry-level and promotional) for our
target occupations, we use, where possible, critical incidents and
source documents that others on the staff have collected.

Hope this helps,

Ilene

Ilene Gast
Senior Personnel Research Psychologist