[IPAC-List] Length of Eligible Lists

Johnson, Thomas H. johnsont at CityofRochester.gov
Fri Sep 6 09:05:28 EDT 2013

The rules in New York provide for establishment of eligible lists for a minimum of one and a maximum of four years. We establish most lists for one year, except for some public safety titles where we establish for two. Then, we review each list once a year to make decisions whether or not to extend and whether or not to schedule a new exam. We consider a number of factors in these decisions, such as length of the list, number of City residence, feedback about the quality of candidates on the list, anticipated hiring needs, etc. In general, the process works - if we have good information.

Thomas Johnson, HR Coordinator
City of Rochester
Department of Human Resource Management
30 Church Street (Room 103A)
Rochester NY 14614

Phone (585) 428-7242
Fax (585) 428-6651

From: Demooy, Adele [mailto:Adele.Demooy at mwrd.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 4:17 PM
To: 'ipac-list at ipacweb.org'
Subject: [IPAC-List] Length of Eligible Lists

The District's enabling legislation requires that the majority of our eligible lists remain in force for three years. I'd be interested in learning how frequently other agencies are replenishing lists. Is the length of your lists effectively meeting your staffing needs?

Adele De Mooy
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
(312)751-5172