[IPAC-List] Local government preference for internal employees

Leilani Yan M. LYan at pbcgov.org
Wed Sep 9 14:35:52 EDT 2015

Is there data available (even anecdotal) as to any local governments that give preference to internal employees applying for open competitive advertised jobs?  There are some union agreements that call for all jobs to first be posted internal only, and then posted externally if needed, but I have no knowledge of any local governments that give preference just because applicants are current employees of that entity.  I am curious how an entity giving such preference can demonstrate the job relatedness of it, as well as the answer the challenge of external applicants who possess more job-related qualifications than internals who may have moved ahead of them to go forward to the next step in the hiring process.  Veteran's Preference is a legal mandate in the State of Florida for applicants meeting minimum qualifications, but I am looking for a non-legally mandated hiring process that offers this type of preference to internals .  Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Leilani Yan

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.