[IPAC-List] Local government preference for internal employees

mhammer at 295.ca mhammer at 295.ca
Wed Sep 9 19:48:19 EDT 2015

There is formal/explicit preference (which, I concur, may well be
considered against policy or even illegal), and there is implicit
preference.

Many jurisdictions require that just about *everything* be posted
externally, even when the hiring manager is simply trying to turn a
short-term contract into a more permanent appointment for a preferred (for
all the right reasons) candidate.  In many such instances, the internal
employee ends up being selected because the experience and knowledge
criteria are engineered to select that individual, or the sort of "dream"
external candidate who explodes out of the woodwork (and which very rarely
exists).

The job-relatedness does not have to be attached to their status as
current employee.  Rather, the KSAs sought for the position just happen to
be enhanced or *result* from the fact that they are an internal candidate.
 Fopr example, there may be a knowledge test as part of the selection.
The knowledge required for the test may not necessarily be privileged
information that ONLY internal candidates would know (which would be
discriminatory and certainly grounds for grievance), but it could be
information that is certainly helped along by being an internal candidate.

So, for example, one of the requirements may be "extensive knowledge" of
some government policy.  The policy may well be posted on-line such that
anyone could see it and commit it to memory.  But the chances are pretty
good that the internal candidate would have a leg up, relative to those
who simply crammed from the posted information.

Bottom line: advantage does not have to equal explicit preference.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa