[IPAC-List] Speed vs Power Tests

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at tamu.edu
Fri Jun 3 01:08:16 EDT 2016

'just wanted to note that concerning the "speed" and validity and
subgroup differences issue, i think it is important that we *not*
conflate two quite different uses of the term "speed" in this
discussion.  specifically, speed (of processing) as a specific ability
facet of /g/ (i.e., fluid intelligence?), is quite different from speed
as per the time-to-complete-a-test (e.g., a declarative knowledge
test).  for instance, i believe Mike A.'s examples from his 06/01 email
speak to the latter.

i think this distinction is important b/c the answers to the questions
being asked are likely to be a function of which use of the term "speed"
one is referring to.  for instance, *working memory*, as an information
processing construct, is more aligned w/ the first use of "speed"
above.  in addition, in the standard information processing model, it is
considered to be a precursor to /g/, is a stronger predictor of learning
and training outcomes, is just as strong a predictor of performance, and
displays lower subgroup differences (not eliminate) than /g/. (of
course, one is not going to find a lot of WM studies in the I/O
literature; you'd have to go to cognitive psychology for that.)  in
contrast, consonant w/ and as reflected in the results summarized by
Mike A. in his email, it is unclear to me theoretically and
conceptually, why the time-to-completion conceptualization of "speed"
would display a similar pattern of results . . . but of course, i could
be wrong  :)

- winfred